Mini Aquaponic Tank
- Bring the garden inside with the Back to the Roots Water Garden. This mini aquaponic tank is a closed-loop ecosystem - the betta fish waste fertilizes the plants on top, and the plants filter and clean the water for your fish - not your average betta fish bowl!
- The Water Garden aquaponic kit comes with everything you need to get started including: 3-gallon fish tank, organic wheatgrass and radish sprout seeds, a coupon for your betta fish, fish food, natural fertilizer, a silent, submersible water pump, gravel, and growstones.
- Aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture, or fish farming, and hydroponics, or growing plants in nutrient-rich water. The fish excrete ammonia that would become toxic to the fish in a regular fish bowl. In the Water Garden, the ammonia-rich waste is pumped up to the grow bed and absorbed by the plants, helping them grow twice as fast as in traditional farming! The clean water is then filtered back to the tank, creating a low-maintenance, self-cleaning cycle to foster a healthy fish and herb garden.
- Learn more about the science inside your fish tank - download the Water Garden curriculum at backtotheroots.com for lessons on the history of aquaponics, how it works, and the benefits of home and commerical aquaponics.
- Grow One, Give One! Submit a photo of your growing Water Garden for a chance to win one for a classroom of your choice through Back to the Roots' monthly giveaway. Upload your photo at backtotheroots.com/giveone.
Legal Disclaimer: Used - not working extremely well. If you are a fix-it kind of person, you could get it working well.
Publisher: Back to the Roots
Release Date: 2013-05-04
Details: Back to the Roots is on a mission to Undo Food. In a college class, we learned mushrooms could grow entirely on spent coffee grounds. After watching hours of how-to videos and turning our fraternity kitchen into a big science experiment, we eventually decided to give up our corporate job offers to instead become full-time mushroom farmers. What started as curiosity about urban farming has turned into a passion to Undo Food and reconnect families back to where it comes from.